Thursday, 06 December 2007

Play It Again...token black guy who has rythm

Before you start...I know I spelt rythm wrong. Spell check failed me!!!

Anyways...

I've always been a sucker for old hollywood musicals. An American In Paris, Singing in the Rain, Les Girls, Gigi etc etc.
The ability to just burst into song and dance at will always facsinated me. So, in my insomniac state, I'm revisiting my old faves and realising that they're far sexier and daring than I originally gave them credit for. Anyone that laughs off musicals as fluffy little affairs should look between the adverbs and dance routines. They make Tarentino and Soderburgh look like wussies. In fact, there is a film still somewhere on the net showing Fred Astaire doing the rock 'n roll bull horn hand signal so synonymous with punks these days in the 1954 musical Band Wagon. I kid thee not. I can't find th epic, but get the DVD and pause during any of his dance routines and look at his huge hands....

Fred Astaire was the original punk rocker!!



Digg!

3 comments:

Vimbai said...

Fred Astaire was aite,but i gotta take my hat off to Gene Kelly!

I LOVE old hollywood musicals! I love those huge dance numbers they have like in Merry Widow, 42nd Street & Singing in the Rain...they freaking blow my hair back.

Give me a TCM musical anyday :-)

Insane Insomniac said...

Turner Classic Movies is the best place to go - I totally agree. MGM, the studio, did some of the best musicals - EVER!

Ruby said...

I'm an incurable musicals addict......bring it on!