Tuesday, 20 March 2007

Alarming Stuff!!!!

Over the past few days a shiteload of things have been going on all at once.

Firstly, the Durban coastline is being washed away at a rapid rate due to tropical cyclones off the coast and (as many suspect) the alignment of the planets. Personally, I think it’s the prologue to The Day After Tomorrow.
On this side of the world, spring teased us for a week before unleashing arctic winds filled with sleet icy rain.

Which, actually, is the same thing.

Zimbabwe is finally in the international public eye. Kudos to everyone sending pictures to the international press – they’re causing quite a stir. Although, sadly for me, now everyone I meet thinks its my fault Mbeki isn’t doing anything.

Thanks guys.

In the entertainment world, Viacom is still trying to sue YouTube for breach of copyright, or something like that.
Viacom owns MTV and other channels that feed the teeny boppers whatever they deem is cool enough for the week.
Anyway, the problem with their lawsuit is twofold.
Firstly, YouTube does not control what gets loaded up onto their site as it is a user based site. In order to check that every video that is uploaded is not infringing copyright laws, would take an army as there are about 20 000 videos uploaded DAILY!
YouTube relies on the integrity of the posters…hmmm.

Secondly, why not, like Universal Music Group, open your own channel on the site and post the music videos yourself? Thereby beating the public to the punch! Ok, this could be a little sticky due to copyright laws differing in the UK and US. I can’t watch any US videos on MTV’s site. Why not get it fixed. Or get left behind. Didn’t I hear a rumour that MTV was already losing money????

If you can’t beat them, join them.

What I mind most interesting when coming from a country where the headlines usually read “AIDS kills 50 a day!” and “New Corruption Case Opened” etc, is coming to a country where the headlines read “Hottest Year on Record” and “Short Haul Flights to be Taxed”
Each country has different priorities. In the UK, they’re juggling trying to save the world, save the environment and save themselves. Carbon emissions are monitored, dead soldiers are listed, gang violence is deemed horrific (have they ever heard of the Cape Flats?) and everyone discusses Posh’s latest blonde look.

As I write this, I am sitting at the Chelsea Football Club, awaiting the last few delegates to arrive for our seminar. On the screen in front of me, my boss has Google earth playing…check it out Lost Places on Google Earth…behind us, the paraplegic toilet has burst a water pipe and we have maintenance people scurrying around trying to cork the leak before our presentation begins.

Later…

So our seminar was not the most successful, but we did get some business out of it.

I set the fire alarm off.

I stepped through the rotating doors of the Chelsea Football club and suddenly this alarm goes off. So I hightail it out to the car. Only the car wasn’t there.
So I set off around the club, looking for the car.
As I got to the other entrance, our company car drove past me. So I followed it all around the freaking club, and it is NOT a small club.
As I round the corner back to the entrance where I originally started, a large crowd had formed outside.
I promptly found the company car, hopped in and made a swift exit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

insano, darling, i hold you personally responsible... ;) *smooch*

Anonymous said...

thanks!

Peaches said...

Smooth exit there Insano!