Monday, 12 March 2007

Time's a telling

I have two weeks to find a flat. Two fucking weeks!!! HELP!!
Have been going aroudn looking at potential holes, I mean, flats and rooms etc and let's just say...no way!
So I chatted to P last night before dashingout to meet Dan for a drink/dinner. He said he really wants to move out too and would rather share a flat with me.
So, yeah, he drives me to drink most times, but we hardly see eachother with the insane hours I keep, so we're getting along way better.
So now the search is on. Two bedroom flat in Greater London for about £200 pw. And those from SA reading this, don't convert. DON'T CONVERT!!! The average price for a flat in the nice parts of London go for about £500 pw. i kid thee not. There was a flat that went for £15 000 per week! Well, it was in Cavendish Square.
I'm not asking for a lot. Close-ish to tube, gang related killings to a minimum. Come on! I'm from the East Rand! I can handle anything.

Moving on...
Sick Puppies.
No, not my nickname, but the name of a new amazing Australian band.And how can you argue with a name like that!!! They also feature a female bassist...not completely original in terms of line up, but glad to see more girls in the industry.
Thier first album 'Headphone Injuries' (2006) while only having 5 songs on it, gives you a taste of a band with huge potential. Falling into the post hardcore without the screamo scene, they deliver strong songs, steady riffs and all round great tunes. Check them out!!!
Thier second album 'Dressed up as Life' is releasing 3rd April.
Download thier singles here

Speaking of more women in the scene...why are there not more women fronted rock bands?? Gwen Stefani was the perfect example of a fantastic frontwoman for a punk band. She totally sold out by heading into the bling/hip hop world!! And let's not forget the awesome Shirley Manson from Garbage. What a role model! And Amy Lee from Evanescence? Let's forget about the dismal 'Open Door' album and take note of the strong character it takes to front a "metal" band.
We have a few newbies these days - American youngsters Paramore with 17 year old Hayley Williams, Lacuna Coil fronted by Cristina Scabbia, and erm...that's about it for now.
Honestly girls! We need more chick rockers a la The Veronicas, Hole, Sioxsie and the Bandshees. What's going on out there??
Far too many potential stars are falling into the grimy pop world instead of shaking things up in rock.
And when we do get bands like that, why aren't labels signing them? Remember tha last wave of girl power? I think we're due for another one.
And no, I won't start my own band, but I'll sure as hell make one famous!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

sick puppies. cool!

I think the term 'girl power' has been sorely abused and forever shamed by the spice girls. Ashlee simpson did a fuck up by powdering down the avril look and avril is married. yay.

we need something fresh, that combines the individuality of amy lee, the lyrics of amy winehouse and confidence of courtney love

Anonymous said...

So are we going to start a band then?

SaM-GiRL said...

Yeah, Avril is such a bitch, I am so disappointed in her, I loved her for standing out and being different, but then she had to go through the whole "im blonde, im girly, im getting married" thing!

An up and coming band to look out for, which is local, is Love Jones, that chick truly kicks ass! "Get ur kicks" is one of their songs, try to have a listen.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, Love Jones has been around for a while. I dig thier stuff. The live shows still need work.
Don't diss Avril just cos she got married. Good for her.
I'm just pissed that she went the Pink route and sold out into the whole "Bling" image. tsk tsk.

Peaches said...

So the flat hunt is going that well?

Revolving Credit said...

Well, for £15 000 I could find you a 2 bedroom flat to buy in Cape Town, right in the heart of Cavendish Square, but I reckon that the commute would be a bitch.

Anonymous said...

Rev...I'll keep that in mind as a future investment.
Peaches - Please shoot me?

Katie Possum said...

What about the chick from Gossip. Havent heard all their stuff, but their latest single (standing in the way of control) is pretty good...