Tuesday, 06 March 2007

Oh, For Genre's Sake!

I've been collecting music at a rapid rate lately, if only to keep up with what the journos are prattling about in NME and Kerrang. The latter, btw being a far superior informative magazine. Moving on.
Out of the vast collection, I have decided to share the latest (meaning released this year) albums with you.
So I began to listen to teh albums, research the various bands and then began to write a review of each album. It was all going hunky dory until I had to classify the band.
Um, ok.
My media player lists 120 different genres (booty brass amongst them!?!?)

Some bands are easy to classify, especially if they initiated the sub genre. Let's take Arcade Fire. They invented the Arcade Fire sound. So bands that sound like them you class as Indie a la Arcade Fire.
But then you get bands that sound like Arcade Fire on acid. Where do you put them then? Ac-Indie?
The entire concept of what makes a sound Indie has been distorted to such a degree, that, like Emo, it no longer has any connotation to its originators.

Now I've always stated that the term Indie should be used solely when describing UNSIGNED bands. And I will stick to this. Like bubblegum to a cashmere coat.

So I have done a little investigation and waded into the history of music genres.

Boys and girls: Welcome to School of Rock - Insano Style.
See tomorrows post for lesson 1.

No comments: