Friday, 02 February 2007

The Introspective Musings of a Hangover

So we had a masseuse come in yesterday for our monthly back massage. Just for the record, I’m not one for massages administered by strangers, especially when they decide the top of my ass needs massaging. I have a knot just under my left shoulder blade. Its my built in stress detector. The intensity of its burning depends on how stressed I am. So yesterday this masseuse decides that this little (ok, so it was freakin’ big at the time) knot needs to go. And she spent most of the appointment wrestling with it.
Needless to say, it’s back.

I felt like such a corporate yuppie as well. And this morning my boss announces that from now on, Fridays are wear-what-you-want days. Technically, I’ve been doing that everyday, so it makes no difference to me.
The funny thing is, the more I sink into British yuppidom, the less I like it. Ok, so the earning potential is huge, and sitting here, typing all day beats standing around in HMV earning minimum wage. But I have to sometimes question why I bother. What am I ultimately contributing to the world? I’m not making important decisions regarding global warming or chaining myself to a tree to protect a forest or waging war in the face of worldwide consumption. In fact, I’m part of the consumption cycle!
I guess what my liberal hippie is trying to say, very ineloquently, is that I think I need to rethink this whole corporate job thing.

My dream job, as unglamorous and demanding and low paying as it is, would be to manage a band and make them successful. Granted, music is a consumer product, but while you have pocket money wielding teens willing to buy tickets to watch bands play, then consume away I say.
But it’s more than that.
I love watching people enjoy themselves at an event I put together. To see kids having the time of their lives, making memories and having ‘moments’ while watching their favourite band gives me a fuzzy feeling, because in a warped way, I had an affect in a life or two. And that is what I want to do.
I’ll leave the songwriting and performing to the artists. I prefer to stay behind the scenes.
So I think that I need to find a job closer to home, so I can spend less time commuting and more time networking, meeting bands and people in the industry. Or maybe I’ll just go to art school.

On a separate subject. My colleagues. I really like them, they’re a pretty cool bunch of people, but I have nothing in common with them. It’s a bit like high school actually, just without the politics. We’ve got our accounting guys (the chess club), the rest of the girls in the office (the cheerleading squad) My boss (the principal) and then there’s me – the kid sitting alone, under a tree, sporting a rock-esque T shirt and reading a novel by Terry Pratchett while getting excited about things like World of Warcraft and Counter Strike.
Don’t get me wrong, they’re all a great bunch of people, and we get along just fine, but it would be nice to work with someone who gets as excited about the Download Fest as I do, and not be met with blank stares.

Ok, enough self pity for today. Time for a plan of action. Well, from next month. I need to finish paying my debt.

No comments: