Friday, 12 January 2007

iPhoney

I don't know what is up with the blogger today, but i had a lovely rant written and then it lost it!

My rant was about Apple head honcho Steve Jobs unveiling this




Below is the email conversation i had with my boss:

From: Insano
Sent: 11 January 2007 16:12
To: Salivating Boss
Subject: RE: come and pick up my comments on copy and....


Did you notice the message at the bottom of the webpage - This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.
They say it’ll be available at the end of 2007 in Europe/UK.
Checked out the tech specs – only 4G-8G? For music/pics/email memory – not enough.
They need to enlarge their memory before it’ll really take off. Many won’t want to part with their 80G iPods.
I’m going to hold out for the next Sony Ericsson generation.
Other than that, it’s a very slick presentation. Looks like it’ll take off. Good luck to them.


From: Salivating Boss
Sent: 11 January 2007 16:45
To: Insano
Subject: RE: come and pick up my comments on copy and....


You really are an anti-Apple cynic! 8Gb is enough for my top 20% of favourite music, I’d have it as well as my 80Gb ipod but instead of my phone – wouldn’t you?


From: Insano
Sent: 11 January 2007 17:00
To: Salivating Boss
Subject: RE: come and pick up my comments on copy and....


Apple is a minion if The Man. (that’s the liberal hippie in me).
I’ve done some more reading on the subject and boy, are the boys at Apple going to get flack!
What is the best thing about having an mp3 player in your phone? The fact that you can set your favourite song as your ringtone and message tone. The iPhone, due to iTunes licensing, cannot do that. And while you can buy tracks for a few pence, to buy the ringtone will cost $25.
It also doesn’t support third party software, so I foresee a problem with those who want to load Skype and Adobe reader onto their phone.
It’s also been network locked to one network in the states until 2009. This network doesn’t cover half of America. And in Europe? Think Virgin will grab it up? Or Vodafone?

The camera may be 2 Mega pixels, but does it have a zoom or flash function?

Come on. Who are they trying to market this to? The professional who needs internet capabilities and an easy to use phone who wants to look cool? Or to the next generation who want the multimedia functions? I know for a fact that my little sister, her friends and even I choose our phones based on their multimedia capabilities. We want to be able to record concerts clearly, have at least 10G of music to choose from and set the songs as our tones.

And I’m going to bet that within the first six months, at least a third of the phones purchased will be returned due to touch pad issues.

I rest my case.

No comments: