Thursday, 25 January 2007

Productiveness and other myths

For the past two days, I have been, through a very wrong twist of fate, being working from home.
This is ok, seeing as how I’ve got a cold and travelling would just aggravate it, but on the flipside, the pressure to perform, while sitting at home is overwhelming.
How do the freelancers do it?

Obviously self discipline is a key factor. Something I lack. Desperately.

Working from home has its benefits. I can sit in my PJs, feet up and not have to worry about what I’ll wear to the office. I can’t get distracted by the mindless conversations that happen when a bunch of girls sit in an office together. Just me and my music – no phones!!!!

However, it does suck when your desk is the size of a penny and the internet connection you leach from the neighbours is unreliable. But it does beat having o get up at the crack of dawn to commute. I think I could do pretty well.
I just need to prove to my boss that I can work productively from a satellite location. Maybe this is what he needs to help me get my holiday through for April!

So you’re probably wondering what the twist of fate was that got me here. Money. Or lack thereof.

See, I had a plan, all worked out. I pre ordered this amazing external hard drive from Play.com. It was supposed to be deducted from my account once I got paid – at the end of the month.
So my wages from the pub come through and before I could say ‘7 day travelcard, please’ Play.com took the money and posted the hard drive to me.
I emailed them the same morning (this being Monday) stating that they must keep the hard drive, I want my money back and I’ll re order it at a later stage. Tuesday comes with more calls and emails – their system is down.
I get home Tuesday night to find they delivered the package!!!

Now, even if I returned the package or kept it, I’m still cashless until Monday! So I’m screwed. Very screwed. Have meetings to attend tomorrow!

So I’m going to have to beg Paul to loan me a little money, just to get to work and back (both jobs) and I’ll pay him back on Monday.

So what have I learnt from this whole expedition?
1) Get a job walking distance from home.
2) Make sure that when I order something from play.com I send them a note saying when they can have payment.
3) Just don’t order stuff off the internet.
4) Get a better paying job.
5) Get a credit card.

Also planning to go flat hunting on Saturday. Closer to the office. Good rent. ALONE!!
And, yes, I’ll be far more budget conscious from now on.
Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK!! I'm beginning to feel like a bloody Koala bear i've spent so much time on the gumtree! House hunting is a far from pleasant experience for me.

Anonymous said...

well, luckily for me, i work with estate agents so i just ask around and they hook me up.
actually, we're working on changing the whole house hunting business. they say its the second most stressful thing after divorce.

Anonymous said...

A very good leason to learn about internet baying. Next time try to ask some one before just diving in.