Wednesday, 10 January 2007

Shellshock, Passports and Sausages.

This is going to be a bit of a sad post. Mike, my liberal hippy friend and music mentor, sent me a harrowing article about mental illness affecting the soldiers in Iraq. One soldier, along with some buddies, broke into a house, killing a family then raping the fifteen year old daughter before setting her alight.
Apparently these soldiers aren’t mentally fit for society, yet they’re not fit for army duty either. So what is the state doing about them? Court marshals and prison.

And I thought my stress levels were unhealthy.

Today, my boss is spoiling us by bringing in a masseuse to give us each a twenty minute massage. Thing is, I’m not very big on getting a massage from someone I don’t know. The only people who have tried to give me a back rub are my ex’s and one or two friends. I have yet to actually have a decent massage, and if this person is any good, she’ll have me comatose within ten minutes. Not something I need today as the deadlines are looming and I’m not firing on all pistons! What I need, is a bigger, newer computer with design programs on so that I can get my job done properly.

So Peas was bitching earlier today about Dove moving to the UK. Having moved there and currently living in the UK, I have a few points to make about it.
Firstly, once you’ve lived in London, with five housemates and crappy weather, Jozi looks like heaven. Even the crime doesn’t bother you. It’s a good trade off really.
Secondly, I think it’s the perfect place to grow up and become self sufficient. Your folks are on the otherside of the world and if you mess up, you got to sort it out.
Thirdly, South Africans are unavoidable in London, but it doesn’t mean you have to live with them. Move out of Southfields and Wimbledon and avoid Leyton at all costs.
Forthly, you need to move here for the right reasons. I moved out here because I had the travel bug and London is a good base to explore the rest of Europe and its pretty cheap. I’ve also been given a great career opportunity in both marketing/events AND in music!

But don’t think I’m going to live here! I’ll settle in SA, raise my kids there, but for now, I’m soaking up the Euro vibe.

Speaking of…last night I get a call from P.
P: have you seen the sausages anywhere?
Insano: Sausages? Dude, I’m just outside. I’ll see you now.
I go inside the flat and discover absolute chaos. Joyce is in a tiz and seems to be looking for something. Eventually it comes out that Joyce had some pork sausages in the deep freeze and wanted to make them for supper. However, she can’t find them anywhere. She asks me if I ate them.
Insano: No joyce. Firstly I don’t eat pork and secondly, I haven’t been home to make food and thirdly, I would have asked you first.
Then P tells me that he bought the sausages and they are in fact his, but he hasn’t eaten them as he can’t find them.

So between P and Joyce, there is a debate as to who the sausages belonged to and who ate them.
Nats thinks the social worker stole them when she came to check up on Joyce.

I shook my head, rolled up my sleeves and tackled the overflowing pile of dishes. Oh how I long for the days of old when it was just me and joyce, in our flat, no issues regarding missing pork products and my laundry left on the drying rack until I’m ready to pack it away!

No comments: